MyPSUP

Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme

A UN-HABITAT programme in cooperation with the European Commission and the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Secretariat. Read more

Papua New Guinea Phase 2

Papua New Guinea consists of about 600 islands and is situated north of Australia and next to Indonesia. After a decade of civil war, a peace agreement signed in 2001 provided new stability and a high degree of autonomy for the island. Of an estimated total population of 6 million inhabitants (5,190,786, according to the 2000 Census), 87 percent still live in rural areas. The remaining 13 percent are scattered across 20 urban centres, including the National Capital District containing Port Moresby.

 

The urban growth rate of 2.9 percent (2010–2015 estimate) is mainly caused by population increase combined with rapid rural–urban migration. This is placing immense pressure on urban service delivery, which is already poor; living conditions are thus negatively affected. In Goroka, for instance, about 60 percent of the urban population lives in informal settlements characterized by high densities, poor infrastructure, and inadequate water, sanitation, waste collection, and electricity services.

 

Profiled cities

Current status

Phase 1: Urban profiling – completed

Phase 2: Action planning and programme document formulation – ongoing

Phase 3: Project implementation – forthcoming 

Login